Saturday 28 July 2007

After the competition...

Hey everyone,

Well, I guess by this time most of you would probably know we got a decent 2nd place in the state level competition, with Sibu in 1st place and Miri in 3rd place.. Well, we did our best and we put up a good fight. I honestly felt we lost to a better team.
Through this competition, I'm sure we have learned a lot... We have learned what it means by competition now and the attitude and mindset required, and also the standard we need to achieve to make it to nationals. To the ex-members who might be wondering, the choir of SMK Methodist is at their best right now, and are far better than the standard I got to see them in the year 2004.. They are really tough competition now and they remind me in a lot of ways of us back then..
The SMK Methodist members were really humble and friendly... They were so disciplined and sounded so good but yet they were not proud in any way.. The teachers even greeted me and I just wished they stayed longer in the hotel so that somehow we could all get together and have a nice friendly chat over some roti canai or something... Haha... I can really see that the SMK Methodist team were in it to win it.. Very disicplined and I think they managed to give SMK Methodist an excellent image.. I honestly love everything about their choir this time..
Each phrase, each line is very well taken care of... The SMK Methodist team has obviously worked hard and must have endure a lot of no-nonsense practices.. I felt even in terms of discipline, they already deserved to win. It's not like we're not disciplined, it's just that we're not disciplined enough... I could feel a lot of the members didn't really have to spirit to win, they felt they could win hands down.. So after chatting with a few seniors, I concluded that our biggest setback was the members' attitude. If they had better attitudes, we would have undoubtedly been much better than we are now. During practices when I am talking some of them are also talking.. and some do not take comments and corrections in good spirit.. The condition really is not THAT bad, but it isn't that great either.. We will not tolerate anything more like that next year.
Participating in the competition at least gives us an idea of how things should go and I am sure we have learned a lot through this whole experience.. I, for one, have learnt a a whole lot from being the conductor of a choir without a proper vocal coach this year.. As you can imagine, being thrown into circumstances that no normal Form 4 guy would be thrown into, and having to be tough through all the bad times and the good times... Well, you really learn a lot through going through all that...
To the present choir members, I'm sure we all have learned a lot and are better ready for any future competitions. For those who are leaving, well, it does not necessarily spell the end of choir for you all.. You can still drop by and maybe even follow us on some choir trips, and we may still have a few choir activities coming up.. And for everyone, don't keep thinking about choir, although it must be an amazing journey, especially for the newer ones.. Set your mind to your studies.. Life cannot just stop at choir.. Of course you'll miss all the fun we had, but who says it's over for good? ; )
To the ex-members, I hope we did you guys proud.. The challenge set before us was not an easy one, and we did our best. I did my best, and I can honestly say that I have no regrets. There is only so much a person like can do.. If Sibu's standard was like back in 2004, we would stand a good chance in beating them, but like I said they have improved tremendously, and in a competition there are bound to be winners and loosers...
It has been a great journey, but I hope everyone will bear it mind it does not mean that it's over for good. Everyone just concentrate on your studies for the moment; for the seniors, it really is time to look to the future; for the juniors, it's all just beginning...
Peace out, everyone.

Sincerely,
Ryner

No comments: